Kenyan Premier League newcomers Kariobangi Sharks claimed their third successive win after a 1-0 victory over Bandari FC at Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos on Saturday.

Mathew Odongo scored the lone goal for Sharks as they moved fourth on the KPL standings.

Sharks coach William Muluya was elated with the result, praising his young side for putting up consistent performances.

“We have been learning with every match played and I thank the boys for putting in the hard work. I am confident we can continue in this way. We are taking it game by game and don’t want to put pressure on ourselves by setting targets,” Muluya said after the match.

His opposite number Paul Nkata was disappointed with the result, blaming it on fatigue due to long travels between Nairobi, Mombasa and Machakos.

“We can’t complain about playing three games in a week. But when we have to travel long distances to and fro within one week, then it becomes hard. You could see that my players were fatigued today,” Nkata said.

Signs of fatigue were visible in the match as both teams were reserved, neither team wanting to punch in the pace.

Bandari had the early chances in the match. Tyrone Owino had a freekick from 30 yards out but he sent his rocket straight to John Oyemba in the Kariobangi Sharks goal in the 5th minute.

Ten minutes later, Andrew Waisswa’s shot from distance was deflected, but Oyemba managed to place himself well to collect.

The hosts opened the scoring in the 33rd minute with their first effort at goal. Ugandan Odongo dribbled into the box and shot low, with the ball sneaking in between keeper Wilson Obungu’s feet.

Immediately, Nkata was bolted into his first change, pulling out Owino and bringing in Shabaan Kenga. But still, nothing could cut through for them.

In the second half, Muluya was forced into his first change, bringing out Bolton Omwenga for Stephen Odhiambo. He explained after the match that Omwenga had been troubled with some breathing problem and had to be offloaded.

However, the pace of the match still remained low with neither team pushing forward.

In the final minutes though, both teams had chances. First, substitute John Avire who seemed the most exciting player in the last 15 minutes, shot wide.

On the other end, another sub, Ovellah Ochieng, twice saw his efforts picked out by Obungu.

In other results, Sofapaka bounced back to winning ways to beat Chemelil 1-0 while Western Stima came from 2-1 down to win 3-2 against Mathare United in Kisumu.

In Nakuru, Ulinzi Stars registered a 2-1 victory over Muhoroni Youth.